Day 3 of Navarathri festival – Vella Pattani (Dried White Peas) Sundal !
Dried peas are produced by harvesting the pea pods when they are fully mature and then drying them. They are available throughout the year in India. Dried peas are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering dietary fiber and essential nutrients like manganese, copper, protein, folate, vitamin B1, phosphorus, vitamin B5 and potassium. They are also an integral source of the trace mineral molybdenum. Dried peas are soaked and pressure cooked, and later tossed with the standard Sundal tempering to make this healthy dish 🙂
The one here is naivedhyam (offering) style Sundal; however, there’s another famous beach style Sundal made out of dried white peas, which includes the addition of grated raw mango, fresh coriander leaves and fresh grated carrot, along with a squeeze of lime juice. This is super popular on the beaches here, especially the Marina 🙂 If you plan to make this as a regular snack on a non-festive occasion, you could also rev this simple Sundal up by adding chaat masala and cumin powder for extra flavor. Feel free to add any spices/fresh ingredients you love to this basic recipe below, and you’re good to go!
- Dried white peas – 1 cup (soaked in water overnight, or 6-8 hours)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
- Fresh grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Red chilies – 1 or 2, broken
- Curry leaves – 7 to 8 leaves
- Salt to taste
Cooking the legume
- Wash the soaked peas well in running water .
- Add water in the ratio 1:2.
- Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles, drain water, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Once oil is hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add curry leaves, broken red chillies and saute quickly for about 10 seconds. Add hing to this oil and just give it a stir.
- Add cooked peas and salt to taste, mix well again
- Add fresh grated coconut, give it one final mix and switch off the stove.
TIPS & TWEAKS
- You could add grated raw mango, fresh grated carrot, fresh chopped coriander, finely chopped cucumber, etc for a different version. Do this after the tempering is done and you have switched off the stove.
- Feel free to substitute red chillies with fresh green chillies; just be careful of the quantity you use.
- You could also squeeze lime juice into this just before serving, tastes really good.
2 thoughts on “Navarathri Special Sundal: Pattani (Dried White Peas) Sundal”
Looks beautiful !
It’s remarkable to pay a visit this site and reading the views of all friends concerning this piece of writing, while I am also keen of getting experience. http://autolikeme.ru/blog/422.html