Raita is an Indian yoghurt-based condiment commonly used as a side-dish to pair up with spicy rice dishes like biriyani and pulao. It is also served as a side to round off a meal of roti / chapati with a vegetable curry (like I did). Yoghurt is very versatile and can be paired with a variety of vegetables and fruits, giving rise to an endless list of delectable raitas both sweet and savoury. This is a quick fix during the summer when the palate needs some natural cooling! Yoghurt is nutritious on its own, promotes digestion and is light on calories. This, when paired up with a super fruit like pomegranate, makes for a healthy and tasty accompaniment to any meal.
Now the last time I made this, was for guests on an impulse. I could find nothing else on hand to serve alongside the chapathi/curry combination for dinner. Since my guests were kind enough to bring home a kilo of fresh, juicy pomegranates, I used that up :D. I made and served this simple dish to great reviews. I gave my sister this recipe which she promptly tried & photographed for me 🙂 Read on for the recipe!
- Yoghurt – 1 cup
- Pomegranate seeds – 1 cup
- Fresh Coriander – 1/2 cup
- Cucumber (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Sugar, Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
- A few sprigs of mint to garnish
- Beat the yoghurt in a wide bowl until creamy. Add a little milk/water to thin down the mixture and achieve a saucy consistency.
- Add & adjust salt, sugar and black pepper per your taste and mix well.
- Add the chopped cucumber, pomegranate seeds, chopped coriander, chaat masala and mix.
- Garnish with few sprigs of mint and pomegranate seeds. Serve !
TIPS & TWEAKS:
- It is important to taste as you go, to find the right amount of salt/pepper/sugar combination that suits your palate.
- It is best to serve the raita immediately, else the cucumber tends to make the raita watery. You can make everything ahead and store in refrigerator in an airtight container, but leave adding the cucumber to the end just when you are ready to serve.
One thought on “Pomegranate Raita”